I bought some black thermal curtains to keep my apartment cool. It’s already heating up to miserable temperatures in Austin but the black was so boring. I thought side panels of a coordinating fabric would help make the curtain look a little less plain.
- Eclipse Thermaback Samara 42″x84″
- Cutting Mat
- Rotary Cutter
- 3 Yards Duck Cloth
- Sewing Gauge
Not pictured: Upholstery Thread in Black
After ripping the top and bottom of the curtain (thanks to my husband for helping me with the seam ripping!) I pressed them flat and laid the curtain on the floor. Each panel is 11″ wide and was a huge pain in the butt to cut! I’m sure I have carpal tunnel now. Anyways, I used the already hemmed side of the curtain to line up the panels, pinned it down and sewed together with a 1″ seam allowance.
Panel sewn to curtain.
Original hem with the addition of a panel. This was the easiest part!
Finished! Since I have another window that is very close to this one so I figured one curtain looks fine and not too bulky. I do think the rod can be raised about an inch so the curtain won’t drag on the floor.
Close-up and bonus Tardis light switch cover! I think the curtain looks really good! Until next time, happy stitching!