A Tale of Two Ann(e) Tops

Standard

IMGP2090

Hi everybody! I recently had to organize all of my sewing things and came across SOOOO many PDFs that I had completely forgot about. Before BlueGingerDoll dropped off the face of the sewing world, I purchased the Anne top. My other forgotten top is also called Ann, that has ruching on the sides, which I received for free through signing up for Style Arc emails…3 years ago.  Keep reading for additional details!

IMGP2096

The Style Arc Ann T top is supposed to hide a multitude of sins with side ruching, but I feel it really accentuated my stomach for the worst. It was easy to sew, even though my first attempt at ruching really sucked. I usually avoid clear elastic like the plague, but it was necessary for the ruching. I cut a size 16 and had zero problems sewing it together. The main issue I had was with the neckline binding. Initially it laid flat and looked right until I put the top on. I ripped the stitches out and took an inch off the length and started over. Obviously it didn’t help very much since you can see the neckline is a bit loose on the left but it’s not that huge of a deal.

IMGP2100

I used a cotton blend interlock remnant that was purchased at Joann Fabrics. As of this moment, I’m not certain I would make this top again. If I did, I would definitely take out the ruching.

IMGP2104

Onward to the BlueGingerDoll Anne top, which has a peek-a-boo neckline and four sleeve variations. I had a HELL of a time with this pattern. Firstly, in 2014 when I bought it, page 9 was really off so I had to get in touch with Abby (Owner of BlueGingerDoll patterns) to get the problem resolved. It took quite a while to receive the corrected page since at the time she was in process of moving. I completely forgot about it until recently. I printed the new page 9 and taped my PDF together, only to discover that another page was off too. I did the best I could anyway and I think it looks okay considering this pattern made want to rip my eyelashes out.

FullSizeRender

This is what the top looked like as is, before I attempted to make any changes to the fit. Excuse my spotty mirror. It’s not used very often! As you can see, my bra is visible and the peek-a-boo area really just shows cleavage and a not so great fit. To fix the problems, I stood in front of the mirror for what felt like forever with pins and a seam ripper. Things would of been great if Nick was home. He’s really good about lending a hand when I need help with fitting, etc.

IMGP2109

I purchased the insect knit from Savers and the black textured knit is a remnant from Joann Fabrics. I also haven’t mentioned that I had no instructions for this top. They were found days after I finished this and luckily everything was done correctly. Will I make this top again? As of right now, no. While I like the look of the peek-a-boo detail, it was so much of a headache for me!

Anyway, thanks for reading and until next time, Happy Stitching<3!

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “A Tale of Two Ann(e) Tops

  1. Wow, I am really impressed that you managed to save the BlueGingerDoll top! Thanks for being brave enough to post the before pics. Usually, you only see the perfect after pictures but this was much more helpful in getting an idea of how much work it would actually take to get to the perfect after.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s