Hey everyone! Apologies for my long absence. Life gets in the way sometimes, but I’m back and ready to talk about the latest pattern I’ve sewn, The Pippi Pinafore. This is the third pattern (second review) I’ve sewn up from Jennifer Lauren Handmade and I’m very pleased with the result! Just a heads up, this pattern was given to me for reviewing purposes and all opinions are my own. That said, let’s jump on in!
From the website: With a fitted bib, deep patch pockets and fun side button fastening, Pippi is a fresh take on the classic overall dress, combining comfort with a sleek and playful silhouette.
One of the things I like about the Pippi Pinafore is how easy it was to sew. I made a muslin and had no issues with the fit or instructions. I did worry that a pinafore would look a little childish on my body, but I was pleasantly surprised. There’s darts in the bib and in the back of the skirt to provide a little shaping.
I cut a size 22 for the bib and a 24 for the skirt. Looking at it now, I could’ve done a swayback adjustment, but I’m happy with the overall look. This pattern includes cup sizes A-D, which I always appreciate! The green corduroy and pink broadcloth I used was purchased from Hancock Fabrics ages ago. Keeping up with the retro look of the Pippi Pinafore, I used vintage shell flower buttons. I didn’t realize how sharp my Clover brand seam ripper was and I tore through the left bib buttonhole! Unfortunately, this fabric is no longer made so I improvised and made a little appliqué to cover the tear. I feel like it worked and isn’t too noticeable unless pointed out, of course. I’ll use fabric adhesive to tack it down.
Overall, I’m pleased with this pattern. The instructions are very well written, the fit is spot on, and the PDF was extremely easy to piece together. I hope to make another one with chambray or linen.
Thanks for reading! Until next time, Happy Stitching! ❤ V